Friday, August 24, 2018

Manual for benchmark toolset dbt2-0.37.50.15

Manual for dbt2-0.37.50.15

My career has been focused on two important aspects of DBMSs. The
first is the recovery algorithms to enable the DBMS to never be down.
The second is efficient execution of OLTP in the DBMS.

When I started a short career as a consultant in 2006 I noted that I had
to spend more and more time setting up and tearing down NDB Clusters
to perform benchmarks.

The particular benchmark I started developing was DBT2. I downloaded
the dbt2-0.37 version. I quickly noted that it was very hard to run a
benchmark in this version in an automated manner.

My long-term goal was to achieve a scenario where an entire benchmark
could be executed with only command. This goal took several years to
achieve and many versions of this new dbt2-0.37 tree.

Since I automated more and more, the scripts I developed are layered
such that I have base scripts that execute start and stop of individual
nodes. On top of this script I have another script that can start and
stop a cluster of nodes. In addition I have a set of scripts that execute
benchmarks. On top of all those scripts I have a script that executes
the entire thing.

The dbt2-0.37.50 tree also fixed one bug in the benchmark execution and
ensured that I could handle hundreds of thousands of transactions per second
and still handle the statistics in the benchmark.

Later I also added support for executing Sysbench and flexAsynch. Sysbench
support was added by forking sysbench-0.4.12 and fixing some scalability
issues in the benchmark and added support for continuous updates of
performance (defaults to one report per 3 seconds).

Today I view the dbt2-0.37.50 tree and sysbench-0.4.12 as my toolbox.
It would be quite time consuming to analyse any new features from a
performance point of view without this tool. This means that I think
it is worthwhile to continue developing this toolset for my own purposes.

About 10 years ago we decided to make this toolset publically available
at the MySQL website. One reason for this was to ensure that anyone
that wants to replicate the benchmarks that I report on my blog is able to
do this.

Currently my focus is on developing MySQL Cluster and thus the focus
on the development of this toolset is centered around these 3 benchmarks
with NDB. But the benchmark scripts still support running Sysbench and
DBT2 for InnoDB as well. I used to develop InnoDB performance
improvements as well for a few years (and MySQL server improvements)
and this toolset was equally important at that time.

When I wrote my book I decided to write a chapter to document this
toolset. This chapter of my book is really helpful to myself. It is easy
to forget some detail of how to use it.

Above is a link to the PDF file of this chapter if anyone wants to
try out and use these benchmark toolsets.

My last set of benchmark blogs on benchmarks of MySQL Cluster
in the Oracle Cloud used these benchmark scripts.

The toolset is not intended for production setups of NDB, but I am
sure it can be used for this with some adaption of the scripts.

For development setups of MySQL Cluster we are developing
MySQL Cluster Configurator (MCC) sometimes called
Auto Installer.

For production setups of NDB we are developing MySQL Cluster
Manager (MCM).

Happy benchmarking :)

1 comment:

Mark Callaghan said...

I hope you move up to modern sysbench 1.0 with LuaJIT for client scripts and efficiency improvements. I was on a fork of sysbench 0.4 for a long time with many shell scripts layered on top of it -- just like you. That let me quickly run tests and extra results, but eventually modern sysbench looked too good and I upgraded.

I am happy you use dbt2. It seems like we each have our own tests for MySQL performance work. You have dbt2, Dimitri has db-stress, Percona has tpcc-mysql, I have linkbench and insert benchmark. Test diversity means more coverage.

I look forward to reading your book. Thanks for writing it.